Sunday, June 16, 2013

It's a BOY!!!!

Our sweet boy, Evan Michael Fetrow was born on June 3rdat 12:05pm weighing  7 lbs. and 9 oz. and measuring 19 inches long!

Evan was born exactly 38 weeks and 2 days into this pregnancy- the exact same time frame as Sage, but a week late. So weird!

The weekend before, we spent getting things ready and the house cleaned- but mostly, doing all that I could to get labor started! We went to the Zoo on Saturday and walked around a bit and then on Sunday, we did quite a bit around the house with yard work and played with Sage.

Monday morning, I woke up around 4am with about two contractions. My contractions were never that strong, so I didn’t really think anything of it, because I was pretty sure it would be a few more days before I went into labor.
At about 7am, I woke up to go get Sage up for the day and that is when my water broke! I called Brad to tell him and called Mandie to have her come over a little early to have her help me with Sage.

The weird thing was- my water broke, but I had no contractions-nothing that made me think we needed to head to the hospital right away. I called the doctor and they did advise us to head in so they could monitor thebaby.
We got to the hospital around 9am and by that time I was having contractions that were pretty strong. After we checked in, I got my epidural and started to relax. Things were going just fine until an hour after my epidural, when the doctors had a very hard time locating Evan’s heart beat-because it had slowed down so much. Next thing I knew- I had the oxygen mask on and the doctors were making me try all different positions to try and get the baby to move around. Meanwhile, I was in and out of consciousness because my blood pressure was so low. Within a matter of minutes, more doctors came into the room and I was now being taken out of my labor and delivery room to the OR to get prepared for an emergency caesarian. It was such a surreal moment as I didn’t quite understand what was going on- but I knew that things would be okay. It was scary as the doctor talked to me about what could happen, what will happen, all while I was struggling to stay awake to even listen. Before we left the room, they did give me a shot of something that would help my blood pressure- it felt like a shot of adrenaline. By the time I got to the OR and doctors were hovering around for a minute or two, Evan’s heart rate increaseda nd I became more alert and aware of everything. All of this is happening of course while Brad went to go park our car and grab a bagel for breakfast- so he came back to an empty room. Nurses got him in scrubs and into the OR pretty quick- right as everything turned out to be okay! Baby’s heart rate was great, my blood pressure was looking good and I’m now awake and alert- phew!! At this time, I’m 8 cm dilated and it was about 11am. So from 9am when I was admitted to 11am I went from 4 cm to 8 cm. I had progressed very quickly, which is a lot of the reason for all that happened.

They checked me about 45 minutes later and realized that I was 10 cm-time to push!!! At exactly 12pm, I started pushing and 5 minutes later, sweet little Evan was in our arms!!!

It was an easier delivery than I had with Sage and things went great!
Brad announced that it was a boy! We were soooo excited and named him Evan right away! He is absolutely amazing and the cutest little boy. He looks JUST like Sage! He passed all his tests and is completely healthy! We were able to leave the hospital the next day to be home with Sage that night.

So far, Evan is 13 days old and he is just the perfect little baby- he feeds about every 3-4 hours. I’m only getting up twice a night to feed him.

Sage has been amazing with him!! She walks up to him and says “hi baby”. I’ll ask her where her baby is and she’ll point to Evan. She hands him his bottle and pacifier and often comes up and touches his head and gives him a kiss. It is so precious to see!

Brad and I are THRILLED to be a family of four- not that we didn’t feel complete before- but somehow, having Evan in our lives feels complete!

Finally- thank you to all our family and friends who have been amazing help and amazing support throughout our pregnancy and since Evan was born!












No comments:

Post a Comment